June 12, 2011

Old Photographs

Delia Grace Thibault on left
John Coolidge & Arlene Thibault Coolidge


from front steps
Lyda Thibault and husband Joe Conroy
Arlene Thibault, Delia Grace Thibault and husband William Sullivan

June 8, 2011

Where we come from


Our Thibault line began about 1666 in Beaupre across the river from Cap-Saint-Ignance with Francois Louis Thibault.  In 1670 he married at Sainte Anne de Beaupré Elizabeth-Agnes Lefebvre and moved across the river to Cap-Saint-Ignance where he had 13 children.  Jean-Francois was born and married in Cap-Saint-Ignance but sometime during his life he move slightly up river to L'Islet sur-Mer.  It wasn't until Hilaire that the Thibault's found themselves in Trois Pistoles where he met and married Basillisse Rioux.  Fabien was born in St. Simon, Rimouski and died in Baie-des-Sables.  Magloire left Baie-des-Sables for Fall River sometime around 1890.


Sainte Anne de Beaupré

Devotion to Saint Anne, in Canada, goes back to the beginning of New France, and was brought thither by the first settlers and early missionaries. The hardy pioneers soon began to till the fertile soil of the Beaupré hillside; in the region which now forms the parish of Sainte Anne de Beaupré the first houses date from the year 1650. Nor was it long before the settlers built themselves a chapel where they might meet for Divine worship. One of their number, the Sieur Etienne Lessard, offered to give the land required at the spot which the church authorities should find suitable. On 13 March, 1658, therefore, the missionary, Father Vignal, came to choose the site and to bless the foundation of the proposed chapel which, by general consent, was to be dedicated to St. Anne. The very day the Saint showed how favourably she viewed the undertaking by healing Louis Guimont, an inhabitant of Beaupré, who suffered terribly from rheumatism of the loins. Full of confidence in St. Anne, he came forward and placed three stones in the foundations of the new building, whereupon he found himself suddenly and completely cured of his ailment.


Today Sainte Anne de Beaupre is a Catholic Shrine.   More than 1.5 million people make the pilgrimage each year to a complex that includes a major basilica and a museum.

Cape St. Ignatius


Founded in 1672, Cape St. Ignatius is characterized by its rich heritage and fertility of its soil. A tasty way to your fingertips you can discover the delights of the local terroir. Landscaped pedestrian pathways informative sites Small-Cap and the old government dock you provide access to the river that will charm you. Heritage Trail invite you back in time to discover places and historic buildings. Fitted with a three-manual Casavant organ and many architectural treasures, the church also offers a permanent exhibition of religious art. In spring, the rest area invites bird watchers to observe the snow geese and other species. Suggesting a variety of activities, Sugarbush public open their doors for you to discover the secrets of making maple syrup. In the fall, the orchards of West Bellevue area are enchanting sites for pick. Paradise for waterfowl and big game, Cap St. Ignace is, its flats to its large forest areas, a prime destination for hunters.



L'Islet sur Mer

In 1633, Father Lejeune, missionary, landed where a rock formed by the river, "a small Islette (island), the Indians called" Atisaouacanichetagoukhi. History is kept, we can guess why the name ... Country French sailors who were also his naval school, L'Islet-sur-Mer offers a beautiful estate homes with traditional architecture whose lands are caressed by the tides. Among them, two impressive buildings: the church ranked Notre-Dame-du-Bon-Secours and the Maritime Museum of Quebec. In the eastern part of the village, Quay Street leads to a small natural cove that serves as shelter for small boats. All the gentle landscape of the estuary spreads out before our eyes. On the beach during their migration in spring and autumn thousands of snow geese come to offer a grandiose spectacle.


The municipality of Trois-Pistoles (3,739 inhabitants in 2002; 7.74 sq. km) is located on river Saint-Laurent, in the region known as the Basque district (also, administratively, MRC Les Basques). Basque whalers settled the area in the XVIth-XVIIth centuries; they used to cut up whales on a small island located 5 km off Trois-Pistoles, subsequently named Îles aux Basques. Today an ornithological reserve, the island has kept remains of Basque ovens.The Basque heritage is recalled by the "Basque Adventure Park", including the only pelota front wall in Canada.


Trois-Pistoles

In 1621, a Basque ship moored off Trois-Pistoles and sailor landed to resupply in freshwater. An officer lost his tumbler in the river and said: "Three pistols lost." The story is the origin of the name of the river, subsequently given to the village founded in 1693 and incorporated as a municipality on 9 March 1916. "Pistole" was the generic name given to golden coins whose value caried form country to country. The Spanish pistoles (10 pounds) were massively introduced in France after the marriage of Louis XIV with the Spanish Infant Maria- Theresia in 1659.



Rimouski
 
The city was founded by Sir René Lepage de Ste-Claire in 1696. Originally from Ouanne in the Burgundy region, he exchanged property he owned on the Île d'Orléans with Augustin Rouer de la Cardonnière for the Seigneurie of Rimouski, which extended along the St. Lawrence River from the Hâtée River at Le Bic to the Métis River. De la Cardonnière had been the owner of Rimouski since 1688, but had never lived there. René Lepage moved his family to Rimouski, where it held the seigneurie until 1780 when it was gradually sold to the Quebec City businessman Joseph Drapeau.
 
 
Baie-des-Sables
 
Established as a parish in 1869, Baie-des-Sables is renowened for its architectural heritage: the lovely homes, the wharf and the old mill (1838), the rectory (1864) and the impressive steeple of its church, which during the summer season can be visited by the public and offers a local handicraft exhibit.

June 7, 2011

Rebellions of 1837-1838

The Rebellions of 1837 were a pair of Canadian armed uprisings that occurred in 1837 and 1838 in response to frustrations in political reform.  While both were inflamed by economics there were major differences as seen in this article
http://www.politonomist.com/the-1837-1838-rebellions-a-comparison-002463/

A list of those put in prison for these uprisings can be found here http://patriotedurocher.blogspot.com/2011/05/les-patriotes-prisonniers-de-1837-1840.html.  It includes many familiar names including Thibault and Gendron.  Were any of these individuals related to us?  Perhaps, probably even highly likely at least distantly.

The repercussions of the rebellion in Upper Canada were varied, depending on who was caught and when. Samuel Lount and Peter Matthews were both hanged after they were caught trying to escape the country, with a total of 20 people being hanged in connection with the rebellion. There was a price put on Mackenzie’s head of 1,000 pounds, although it was never claimed. In total 885 people were arrested or sought on charges connected to the rebellion, and those found were housed in horrible conditions pending trials. They were jammed together, given little food and some took sick, only for over 600 of them to be acquitted and more than 150 of them to be pardoned. 92 people were sent to penal colonies in Australia. Groups of government supporters, whether official or not, broke into houses, harassing people and stealing property in retaliation for the rebellion. Many people, fearing these reprisals, emigrated to the United States. As many as 25,000 people left, which was a massive drain on the small number of people present in the colony. Despite the small size of the rebellion in Upper Canada the repression of it was very severe, and not at all proportionate to the disturbance it caused.




In the wake of the rebellions in Lower Canada the reprisals were very similar to those in Upper Canada. 500 people were imprisoned following the activities in 1837 and 800 more were captured after the second rebellion in 1838. 66 rebels were exiled to Bermuda and Australia, with 12 being hanged in Montreal. As well, approximately 500 people sought refuge in the United States to evade arrest. Families were obligated to provide accommodation to soldiers free of charge, even as the troops looted and burned the houses of their neighbors who had led or fought in the rebellions. The Constitution Act, 1791 was suspended which resulted in the dismissal of the Assembly, and the army commander who had replaced Governor Gosford after he left the colony ruled by way of an enlarged Legislative Council and decrees. This was how the colony was left until Lord Durham arrived from Britain as both the Governor General of British North America and the President of the Commission of Inquiry on the situation in the North American colonies. Although the rebellions in Lower Canada were far more severe than that in Upper Canada, they were reacted to in a similar fashion and at a similar level, which makes the reaction in Upper Canada seem even more disproportionate.

Books

 Sophie's Rebellion - Beverly Boissery Age 9+
 Sohpie's Exile - Beverly Boissery  Age: 9+

A Deep Sense of Wrong: The Treason, Trials and Transportation to New South Wales of Lower Canadian Rebels After the 1838 Rebellion - Bevery Boisserry